Saturday, May 03, 2008

The Beginnings of the Travels

May 4, 2008

Over a week later I finally get to writing about my travels. But it is not all bad that it took so long because it means that I made spending time with people a priority over writing. Whether it was doing a puzzle with friends, playing Dutch Blitz, or enjoying another birthday dinner, I was hanging out with others. And tonight Emily and I are planning to have company for pizza and games. Perhaps I will finally get to teach some of my favorite games – Ticket to Ride and Settler’s of Catan.

But now for the adventures – in stages of course so that they are not overwhelming. In spite of the protests that took place around San Pedro, my sister Shana and friend Janine and I were able to go directly from the airport to my apartment. From there we headed out to camp for a few days. At camp we did a little painting on the Williamson’s house and visited with the staff. We looked for wildlife but did not see too much. On Saturday the two Honduran maintenance staff took us to a hot springs way up in the mountains, almost on the border of Guatemala. The drive itself was enough beauty to make the trip worthwhile. It was about an hour and a half on dirt roads, crossing creeks (and one river), and battling with some mud. We saw a tree full of toucans and some beautiful crimson-collared tanagers. The hot springs were not as exciting as I had hoped, but it was okay.

When we got back to camp, Shana and I were greeted with a “tropical” Birthday party complete with grass skirts and tamales. I was blessed by the excitement of the staff in giving me such a party and it was fun to share it with my sister again. Several of the guys convinced me to stay around long enough to play a short game of soccer so we did that and then the girls and I headed off to the city. We were planning to go out to eat with my roommate Emily. I was very non-committal in where or when but at last we decided on an Italian restaurant that had pizza (which has always been a birthday tradition).

We had just settled down to order when Cindy Williamson walked in with a few containers that I had left at her house. Moments later a whole crowd wandered in and yelled, “Surprise.” This time I was very surprised. I had expected the staff at camp to do something but I certainly did not expect the Williamsons to appear in the city 2 hours after I just saw them at camp. We had a good mal and then went back to the apartment for a mango-strawberry pie (delicious!). A fun day of birthday celebrations even though the real day had not yet arrived.

No comments: