Sunday, May 11, 2008

Baking Cakes and Disliking Cars

May 11, 2008

I am beginning to feel as if I could keep track of the weeks by the events of my car. Friday I got a nice crack in the windshield from a flying rock and yesterday I discovered that a headlight is out. The good news though is that my dashboard lights to work and there was not a burnt out fuse. I somehow dimmed the lights with a knob on the dash and never realized it.

Last week I was busy trying to get the details together for a school group to come to camp the end of this month. I am hoping it all works out but they still need to get permission from an Educational Board or something like that. I am going ahead with planning for them to come though I may discover last minute that it does not work. Vamos a ver. (We will see)

Friday I headed out to camp where I stayed for not even 24 hours before returning to the city with Ellie, the oldest Williamson. She is here with me for the rest of the weekend as a belated birthday present for her. While she went to youth group, I started to make the cakes for our meal together as a staff for this evening. (By the way, Mother's Day is a much bigger celebration here in Honduras and is really not complete without a cake, gifts, and a very distinct celebration). I had the cakes mixed up and turned on the oven but after a minute or so I looked in the oven and saw that it had gone out. We have a gas stove and on Friday Cindy had been asking me how long our chimbo (tank) of gas had lasted. I had expressed my surprise that it had lasted 4 months and said I hoped it did not run out at an inconvenient time. Well, it had run out. I only had about 40 minutes till I was supposed to pick Ellie up again and the cake had to bake for 30.

I have one friend who is house-sitting nearby so I called him up and took the cakes over there. I still did not have time so I had to leave the one for him to take out later. I still have not made the frosting though and I am not sure when or how I will do that. If I would buy a pre-made frosting, I would not have a problem, but I really do not like that kind and it is too easy (I am quite certain something could still go wrong though). What I want to make is a carmel frosting so I may attempt to carry everything to camp and make it there. Because it is Sunday, I do not think I can replace the chimbo. That will have to be a task for tomorrow. I guess that there are advantages to electric stoves but I do still like the gas ones.

No comments: