Thursday, July 23, 2009

Anyone Want a Car?

July 23, 2009

For free that is. I am about ready to give my car away. It seems as it would be cheaper. This afternoon I finally heard from my insurance that they were ready to take some pictures of the damag from when I was rear-ended 3 weeks ago. So I headed out to the car to go to their office. When I turned the key though, there was no sound. The battery seemed to be completely dead. I went across to the neighbors and asked if they could help me jump start the car. The husband tried to clutch start it first but when that did not work we got out my jumper cables. At first the jump start seemed successful but the engine quickly died. At this point my neighbor began to say that it was probably the alternato and not the battery (the battery of which is only about 2 months old). Finally we got the car started and I was able to head to the insurance office but I knew I could not turn the car off because the battery did not seem to be charging.

Arriving at the office I was told it was too late to get the pictures and the quote done on the car which means, try again tomorow. But my car is now in the shop for the alternator issue which apparently has nothing to do with the accident. The chances of it being completed in time for me to get the photos taken are slim to none. But I will hope and pray that I can move ahead with the insurance issues because I wanted to have it all settled by the beginningo of next week. It looks like I will be heading to the States for a while and I do not fancy having to come back to Honduras in a few months to a car that is still not drivable.

Meanwhile the road was open today to get to camp but I could not find a ride. If it were only my belongings that I was concerned about, I could have Evelin go on the bus and get them for me. But I want to be able to talk with the staff and say "goodbye" if I do leave for awhile. The uncertainty of when the blockades will be in place makes it hard to find a ride because often it needs to be last minute. And Zelaya is still threatening to show up here this weekend. The military is preventing groups from gathering to welcome him into the country along the Nicaragua border where he has been hanging out. I continue to be thankful that things have gone on peacefully .

No comments: