Friday, July 17, 2009

Pray For Honduras

July 17, 2009

So here I sit in San Pedro Sula wishing I was at camp and not in the city. But it is too late to move. I am a country girl at heart and so being in the middle of a city during a potential crisis, is not my ideal. The news that has come my way today has become heavier and heavier and I am realizing that tomorrow really is a very critical day for Honduras. Many have said that this it is the last chance for a peaceful reconciliation.

I do have a peace about being here in Honduras even though I know that the situation seems to be getting worse. At the same time I do not look forward to being cooped up in a small apartment nor in a major city where the potential for violence would seem to be much greater. I am praying that the Lord will use Oscar Arias, the Costa Rican president leading the mediation efforts, or some other method to bring the two sides to a peaceful resolution.

I must say that being in a country in the middle of unrest is causing me to do a lot of evaluating of that which I deem important. Why do I still want to curl up and read a good book when I have no idea what tomorrow will bring? Am I trying to avoid reality or do I really need recreation?That time spent in prayer would be much more valuable. I am thinking much more of the missionaries who go to serve in countries that are in war. I doubt I will finish all of my pondering, journaling and praying for a long while yet but for the moment I need to get some sleep.

An article that gives an update on the latest development of events here in Honduras is:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090717/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_honduras_coup

No comments: