Thursday, April 02, 2009

In Blows the Heat

April 1, 2009

In just a week’s time, the weather and hence the look of Honduras has changed. Up until the beginning of last week I was somewhat bemoaning the fact that it was still raining. I did like that with the rain the temperatures were cooler, but I was ready to not have to duck for cover so often. Well, starting with last Friday the hot temperatures arrived – just in time for Semana Santa. Semana Santa for me involves about 1200 other people. A week from now the camp will fill with cars, tents, and makeshift kitchens as my church in San Pedro and several other smaller churches join together for three days of workshops and worship services. Last year many of the tents flooded due to the heavy rains. This year I think that persons baking from the heat in their tents is more likely. I am trying to prepare my food for the week ahead of time since I will be doing my own cooking in order to avoid the plethora of grease that will be served.

As I walked through the jungle today the leaves crunched under my feet, making it seem like a fall day – except for the extreme heat. The world is taking on a brown look as the leaves begin to dry up and the grass. I noticed that burning has been going on along the highway. In the city I had ashes falling in my upstairs bedroom. Apparently the ceiling is not sealed the best or something like that. Thankfully though the rain has never entered in.

Friday, according to Weather.com (which was rarely accurate in PA) says that it will be 102F which means it should feel like 110F or more. I think I will have to use some A/C. I can survive without it as long as I shower anytime I want to leave the house. But for Lisbet it is difficult to take naps, and for my computer – well, I worry about how hot it gets.

I had a lovely chat with a woman from my church who came to camp today with her husband, the latter of whom was working on the kitchen floor. We talked for a good hour and a half and I was able to ask her lots of questions about who I could connect with in the church for various things. She also offered some good encouragement.

As for other recent events, I continue to watch Lisbet almost daily in the evenings while Evelin goes to some meetings. She was improving and even laughing and enjoying the time we spent together, up until she started getting so tired from not having taken a good nap. Little by little progress is becoming apparent in her life. Over the weekend the Lord showed me how important the body of Christ is and I saw that though I am kind of like hands in the life of Evelin right now, helping her, she needed the help of a mouth – someone with better Spanish than I and when that help came, it helped to take her to a new level. Thank you Jesus!

On Saturday night Evelin and I had several girls from the church over after the youth service. We enjoyed some good foods and then played a little bit of several games. They enjoyed Dutch Blitz and wanted to hear all about the Amish as usually happens when I bring out that game. It was good to open my home again to others and share in food and fellowship.

No comments: