Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Birthday Review

April 21, 2009

I knew that this would be a different sort of birthday since it is the first that I was not with family or close friends (the college years). I knew it would be a rather ordinary day, especially since I was in the city and unless I planned an event with friends, nothing would happen. Yesterday I had a birthday meal with the Williamsons and brownies with all of the staff so that was good.

This morning I decided that I would get up in time to see the sun in it's pink stage over the city while running. I was up in time (5:34AM) but today it was never pink, only yellow. Quite disappointing. I still ran though. When I returned to the house, I was welcomed with crying which continued for the next hour, making a quiet time rather difficult. It would seem that Lisbet is getting one of her molars and so only being with her mommy brought a temporary stop to the tears.

I soon left to run by the church office, post office, and to find a quiet place to work from. Evelin made a good lunch and by the time I got home Lisbet was feeling better. Later in the afternoon we went for ice cream which made the day feel more like a birthday. And then even later I was able to chat with my family.

This evening I decided to make an appearing at basketball practice again. Evelin was not about to have me watch a crying Lisbet on my birthday so it seemed a good time to get back on the court. I enjoyed the games of 2 on 2 and 3 on 3 but found myself frustrated by what I would call lack of integrity in planning. I think that the standards from having played at Black Rock for so many years have spoiled me a bit.

And now I am back in the apartment, sitting on the patio -- a favorite spot in the evening, thanks to the cooler temperatures, the fun plants, and often starlit sky. Oh, throughout the day I was blessed with notes from friends and family via internet. At one point I even got some tears in my eyes as I realized how much I appreciate the support of everyone in my life. So all lin all it has been a good day, though perhaps not exciting as birthdays go. Of course as my mom said, that is the way of birthdays. The older you get, the less exciting they are. I would concur.

1 comment:

Eddy Out said...

Birthday runs are the best!!!! I am glad you got an early morning run in as part of your celebration :)