Saturday, June 02, 2007

To the Copan Ruins



The other week I had the opportunity to join up with the Mayterm class from Houghton and also a work team from South Dakota and visit the Copan Ruins. (They are from the Mayan Indians). I had been there before with the Mayterm class but that was many years ago and I actually found that I was more appreciative and learned more this time. The professor who leads the trips is the same one who was in charge back when I came 10 years ago. It was good to catch up with him and also to meet some new people. The group from South Dakota had just arrived so I was able to give them a few pointers as far as food and travel go. I also enjoyed having the opportuntity to help others with their Spanish even though it was only a little bit. And of course piling 17-19 persons into the back of pick-up was fun! I actually missed that adventure in Costa Rica because the laws were more strict.

In the evening one of the girls and I walked around the little town of Copan Ruinas and I found comfort in that it was a safe place where walking at night was okay. I was not sure how I was getting back to camp but in the end I got a bus ticket and hopped off at the turn off to my town. It was fun to have that independence again and be able to take the public transportation. The sign for the bus line was a bit deceptive because it showed a nice coach bus and said "air-condition" and "bathrooms." In the end it was more like a school bus but I had to laugh because a sign up front said that there might be a security camara on board. Many buses come from the States and they continue to boast signs and names from whatever town or county they first came from.

No comments: