Friday, June 15, 2007

Mountain views

June 13, 2007

Today I made a trip up the mountain behind camp to get my allergy shots at a medical clinic up there. I had no idea that there was such beautiful sights outside my “backdoor.” To be up on top of the mountain looking down over valleys and hills of pine forest with occasional dark, menacing clouds, and other times clear blue sky was a delight. Getting up the mountain was a bit of a challenge, especially when we took the wrong road and had to turn around. The fuel injectors on the car are not working right so starting on a hill is nearly impossible. Once at the clinic I got to meet the missionary nurse, Lisa, who lives down in the village. It was neat to have another connection and to hear her perspectives on being a single female missionary in the area. She just adopted two very young children so she is now tied down or she would have been one to explore more of the country with. She has definitely chosen the way of immersing herself almost completely in the Honduran culture and has very few close North American contacts. I look forward to getting to know her better.

No comments: