Friday, June 01, 2007

New Month, New Adventures


This new month dawns with a very new appearance. When I walked outside my house this morning, I walked out into a world that had been refreshed. Gone are the smoke, dust, the ashes, and appearance of creation thirsting for just one drink.

It has certainly been quite the week. On Tuesday the smell of smoke was so heavy around camp that we were sure there must be a fire close by. Entire burnt leaves and ferns were falling from the sky. (The ashes themselves were a little reminder of snow--but only a little. Now having heard from one of my friends who saw snow while backpacking in the Adirondacks, the ashes don't seem so snow-like.) Both Cindy and I walked around looking for the fire and saw nothing. But only an hour later, as dusk began to settle into the valley, we clearly saw the flames dancing and crackling on the hillside on the other side of the creek. That evening most of the staff gathered out at the amphitheater and watched to see how far the fire would descend towards camp. It was a beautiful evening to be sitting outside. The moon was nearly full and the glow from the fires was actually a cool sight. At 10:30 we decided that the fire would not reach camp anymore that night, so we returned to our homes with the watchmen planning to keep an eye on the fire during their rounds.

The next day was the day off for the Honduran staff, so only the Williamsons and I were on camp. Wes and I went to the Internet Café earlier in the morning than usual because we knew that the fire danger would be greatest in the afternoon. I was just finishing up lunch and about to head outside to check on the fires when Wes called to say that fire had reached the creek and new fence posts. I hurried down to the creek, but it was a small fire and two of the Williamson girls were working to put it out, so there was not a huge rush. I waded through the creek and helped to put out some of the flames and also wet some areas to prevent the fire upstream from crossing over. Further downstream there was a fire of concern, too, but the winds (which were blowing opposite than normal) were taking the fire back up the hill and not sending the sparks down to camp.

By mid-afternoon the fire-fighting was over and I went home. Up until this point, the constant smoke had not really bothered me, but by evening my eyes were burning from the smoke. Often the air outside of the house was less smoky than inside because the smoke entered and accumulated. I was glad that I was going to the city the next day, where perhaps the air would be cleaner. Early Thursday morning I awoke to a light rain, which was a big praise, but actually nothing in comparison to what came later in the day. Around 1:00PM it began to pour at camp and continued to rain into Friday morning. That is the best fire prevention.

I finally drove in the city and it was not too bad, but I did have a navigator with me. After walking around for a while in various parts of the city, I realized that I am a little tired of the stares of the people as they see a white girl walking around. A woman who had been in front of me in a line for an ATM that did not work saw me later and asked if I had been able to get money out. At first I could not remember who she was, but of course she had no trouble recognizing me because I stand out in the crowd.

When we arrived back at camp around suppertime, I was met with yet another surprise. Perhaps it was the first rain, or maybe it was just coincidence, but the Williamsons' house was swarming with flying insects. (I have yet to figure out exactly what they are). I began to identify with the Egyptians and what the plagues must have been like. I also thought of Laura Ingalls Wilder and the swarms of locusts that were described at least once in her books. The insects would fly into the house (squeezing through the screens even) and eventually lose their wings, but still they crawled around. It only took a few minutes in the house before I could feel them crawling all over me. We ate in the only room that was not teeming with them and kept most of the lights off.

I dreaded going back to my house to see what the damage was, but Becca, one of the Williamsons, came with me to help with the cleanup. Much to my surprise I walked into my house and did not see even one of the insects. I was very thankful. Perhaps the house had been too dark for their liking, and since the rain was heavier they had disappeared again. I can only wonder what the next adventure will be. Actually, it will probably be Saturday’s trip into the city alone. I get to house-sit for some other missionaries and have access to Wireless and a Vonage phone. I am excited.

No comments: