Friday, June 15, 2007

Tranquil moments

June 12, 2007

Yesterday as I was driving up the hill to camp, I was impressed by the view – white cumulous clouds contrasted against the blue sky above dark mountains below. It was a moment of being thankful for being in the country once again. Later that evening we had a “delicious” thunderstorm meander through camp. At first I thought I might take a walk in the rain but I did not act quickly enough and soon it was a downpour so I stayed put in the house and simply relaxed – e-mails and a movie.

This morning the electric went off at 5:00AM and by 7:00 it was still off so I was beginning to think it might be another “one of those days.” I was dreading opening the fridge which warms up so quickly. As I was bemoaning the problems I have with my food during these power outages, I was struck with the realization that I need to learn to live in simplicity. I had been talking with one of the Hondurans on staff, Marlene (her name in English) and she was saying how they do not have a fridge. They buy the meat for a meal that day and they do not have leftovers. I, on the other hand, buy my food days in advance and then have to store it through all of the storms that arise. I also cook too much, have leftovers, and then have to preserve them. Part of the problem for me is that buying meat in the town is not a good idea because with all of the power outages it is not easy to trust the quality of it. But I could eat less meat and more beans. I was reminded of the Israelites and the manna that the Lord provided. He instructed them to gather only enough for that day and not to store it up except when the Sabbath came. I do not think that the Lord is telling me to start shopping for my food every morning but I have realized that I have a lot to learn from the people in the villages about simplicity.

Later in the day after my work was done I was relaxing in my hammock that one of the staff helped me to put up. I had planned to journal and read while it was still daylight but Marlene came over to my porch and sat down. We ended up chatting for probably an hour which actually was good. I found out later that her children and others on camp were playing soccer so I was disappointed to have missed out on that game, but this way I got to do more talking. Just as I was headed into my house to prepare supper, the electric went out but it came back on in time for me to use the toaster oven instead of the gas stove. The Willamsons had gone to the city for 2 days and they came back with lots of mail for me. Homemade baked goods and long letters … it was awesome! Every time I have left Lancaster for either a mission trip or even college, I have been so blessed by the support of friends, my family, and my church body. I was challenged to think about how poorly I do at sending little notes and/or gifts to others who are far away from their family and friends.


No comments: