Thursday, October 15, 2009

Travels Through North Carolina

October 15, 2009

Today is my final full day in North Carolina. It has been a good trip with various adventures. Getting to NC was the hardest part because I had to contend with Friday afternoon traffic between DC and Fredricksburg. Since I was driving a standard vehicle I did not feel like sitting in stop and go traffic for several hours on the freeway. I, therefore, decided to take some other roads which were of course way out of the way and I arrived at my destination late. I would have been better off finding a place to sit for a couple of hours until rush hour passed and then continued on my way.

Rain has been the constant of the past week with only a few days of sun. But during the sunshine I had some opportunities to hike with friends and the other days I visited with friends indoors or exploring various parts of the towns across the state. I have enjoyed reconnecting with friends and seeing a bit of their lives. Saturday evening I was able to attend a church service in Spanish and meet some Hondurans who live here in North Carolina.

Monday evening was an adventure since I ended up square dancing with a group of 55 plus. I enjoyed the chatting with the people more than making a fool of myself square dancing, but it was a good evening. Wednesday I got to see a bit of downtown Salem and also play with my friend's nephew. I have spent a lot of time on the road and tomorrow is the big day of travel from Asheville to Harrisburg. I am excited though because after reaching Harrisburg I will head north to a cabin with my family. And there I expect to see snow, possibly up to 10 inches. I would love it! And being October it is so exciting. We will see what actually happens though.

Then on Monday I head to DC before my flight out to Honduras on Tuesday. Lots and lots of travels.

No comments: