Friday, October 23, 2009

The Grace of God

October 23, 2009

The days fly by! This morning I experienced my first rain shower here but it was nothing like the real rainy days. Last night there was a near disaster here in the apartment when little Lisbeth pulled a bowl of hot soup off of the table and down over herself. Thankfully her burns were not bad but it was a scare for all of us. I am seeing God's hand of protection over myself and many others in these days.

Yesterday I received news that causes my heart to grieve. In Honduras there are a large number of “maquilas” or factories which are owned by persons from other countries. For example Hanes is here and many others. At this point the maquilas are waiting to see what happens with the governmental situation and if things do not improve and Honduras does not have the support of the international community, they will leave. And that would mean the loss of 100’s of 1000’s of jobs here in Honduras. In a country that is already struggling economically, I do not know how the people would survive. I pray that the maquilas do not pull out and create a huge vacuum.

Last night I had another near disaster when I almost swallowed perfume instead of mouthwash in the middle of the night when I skipped turning on the light. Thankfully the smell alerted me to my mistake before I committed to the swallow.

On another note, I would ask for prayer because my heart is heavy at the moment with the pain those around me are experiencing. I am in need of wisdom to know how to respond to several situations. Tomorrow I fly to Panama where I spend one night and then go on to El Salvador. I will probably try to a little sightseeing there but I may discover that more important is some solo time since I will not have much of that in these coming weeks. I am praying that my time in El Salvador will give me insight into further possibilities for the future and how I can learn the skills that I need to work with young children and single moms.

No comments: