Saturday, March 14, 2009

More than I Ever Asked or Imagined

March 16, 2009

It has taken me a while to find the time to write this blog entry, but I have much to write and much to be thankful for. Last week I made several stops around the city as I checked into possible apartments that were up for rent. There was one apartment that I really liked both because of its size, the location, and the fact that it had a yard. The owner, Elizabeth, lives in Texas and only comes back to Honduras every two years or when she has to rent out the apartment again. Over the course of a three day span, I talked with her a lot as I tried to figure out if the apartment would work out for myself and Evelin and Lisbet. Wednesday afternoon I told her that yes I wanted to rent the apartment and then I left for camp.

Thursday evening I received a call from her saying that she had something she wanted to tell me. I was afraid that she had changed her mind and decided to go with other renters, but knowing God was in control, I went to see her with peace in my heart. Instead of bad news, she had a different offer for me. Her offer was that I could rent her personal apartment – something that she has never done before. In this way I would not have a lease to contend with as far as having to remain in that apartment for a year or more. And she was offering it to me at a much lower cost, furniture and all. I do not really need the latter since I already have what I need, but it gives me options as to what I can do with my stuff. The one catch or possible challenge was that she would still be in the country until June so suddenly there would be four of us living together. And yet I remembered that I had been praying about another housemate – someone with a better cultural understanding to help in ministry with Evelin. I simply had not expected a housemate to come about in such a fashion.

It looked as if Evelin could also get a job with the family moving in downstairs, cleaning and cooking for them. On Friday Evelin and I met with her again and went over a few of the details before I said “yes” to the arrangement. By this time I had learned that Elizabeth is a Christian and seen that she was genuinely interested in Evelin’s life and well-being too. We left her house that day with Evelin planning to head to work on Monday morning (today) for the woman downstairs. That part was a little overwhelming since it was so quick and Lisbet is not ready to be in day care. We were both so thankful though for how God had provided in ways that I never asked or imagined.

With Saturday came the news that the family downstairs would not be moving in because they did not have the money and the new renter did not need a housekeeper so the job for Evelin vanished. But she did not feel defeated and I know God has His hand in the timing and placement. Hopefully Evelin will have the opportunity to get to a baking class next week before we move and everyone has to re-adjust to the living arrangements.

The plan is to move the 31st of this month which means a lot of packing between now and then. I know that there will be many challenges for the first few months at least as we adjust to Elizabeth and she to us. I think for Lisbet it will be hard too because she was just getting accustomed to a new home and now she moves again. She has made some progress in not crying so much but there is still so far to go. On Saturday evening I was watching her while Evelin went to a meeting. She spent the first half hour standing at the door crying and screaming. No stories or toys would deter her from the crying. Finally I picked her up and took her over to my computer to watch pictures and sing along to some worship music. She loves to clap and after a little while she was clapping and babbling a few words which I would attribute to her attempt at singing. At least during those moments she is adorable. And soon after she fell asleep since the screaming had tired her out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, the Lord works in amazing ways, doesn't He? Little by little, you are seeing your prayers answered directly... Praise God!!! We continue to pray for you and Evelin and Lisbet...
Love, Jen