Thursday, March 19, 2009

God Encounters



March 19, 2009

I had a God encounter today. By that I mean an encounter that God clearly orchestrated. I had gone to the bank at the mall and as I was leaving decided to check into getting phone card minutes automatically via my credit card instead of having to always go to a store. As it turned out being a foreign citizen makes that option impossible for me. But the young woman at the booth, Julissa, began asking me why I am in Honduras. And so I shared a little bit of my story. One of her first questions was, "How do I become a missionary?" We chatted for a while and I shared some of my journey and also how being a missionary starts in the hear and now and how we live each moment of the day wherever we are. It was a good conversation and I hope to be in contact with her at a later time so that I can encourage her to keep following God's call on her life.

The other God moment I had recently was last night when Evelin got baptized. It was a joy to see her kneeling down in surrender to God, taking this step. She was excited too because the Holy Spirit touched her while she was standing and making her verbal commitment to the Lord. The fact that Lisbet sat contentedly with the other women of the camp and myself for over 2 hours was definitely God at work. She was even laughing some of the time, which was probably a little distracting for the others around us but sweet to hear nonetheless. It was a blessing to have all of the staff women from camp at my house last night since they were in the city for the baptism. We got to have a "slumber party" of sorts.
(Lisbet with her aunt Marlene)

No comments: