Monday, November 03, 2008

Rivers of Mud

November 3, 2008

When I left camp on Sunday morning, I felt a bit as if I was traveling through a river of mud. I had been warned that 4WD was necessary for getting to and from camp during rainy season, but last year I really had no problems. This year is another story. I have used 4WD more times in the last 3 weeks than perhaps in my entire life. I was surprised that my climb up to camp last week was actually a little fun and not just worrisome. Flinging mud up on my windshield is not usually something I do for a past-time but it works every now and again. Thankfully the word from the Williamson's today is that the road has dried up almost everywhere because of two days without rain. The sunshine today was quite lovely. I wanted to write a poem but have not been quite that inspired.

My time out at camp over the weekend was good. I have been doing Bible Studies with one of the young women living on camp and Saturday as we talked and prayed together, I realized just how much more joyful she is. She really does seem to be seeking God. She has had a lot of struggles and still has a long way to go, but she is already talking about wanting to go and share Jesus with her old friends and some family. It is neat too that God is using her life and faith to challenge me. I feel like my ministry with Evelyn is one of the key reasons God has me here in Honduras right now. I am traveling back and forth between camp a lot more at the moment just so I can be available to meet with her. This coming weekend we will be having a birthday celebration for her little girl.

Well, I know that I had a lot more to write when I thought about blogging this morning and afternoon but now that it is almost 9:30PM, my brain is not functioning enough to remember what else I wanted to say. I did realize that I feel pretty far removed from all of the election frenzy and even the stock market woes here in Honduras. Those things do make the headlines from time to time but somehow it is different. And I know that the outcomes of both will very much affect Honduras, but just the same I feel distant from it all at the moment.

No comments: