Thursday, November 13, 2008

Climbing the Peaks


November 13, 2008

Sadly my time with my sister is coming to a close. Tomorrow we return to the city and then she flies out on Saturday morning. Today a dream was partially fulfilled in that I reached the National Park Celanque in Gracias, Honduras. Someday I want to do the 2-3 day hike and reach the cloud forest but today we hiked one of the peaks, 2700m. It was all uphill and considering I have not been doing mountains recently, it was challenging at moments. But I was glad I could climb still without too much difficulty. I loved the beautiful flowers, bromeliads, and vistas that looked over to the cloud forest. We tried several new fruits in route which was fun.

It was a rather typical day in that our 7:00AM departure according to the hotel was actually more like 7:30 because of some difficulty with transportation. Then the guide was unclear as to where we had planned to hike and in the end we had to come back the same way we went in instead of doing the circuit. Our guide saved 3 Israeli guys from wandering for days in the forest and they followed us to the peak with the intention to continue from there and camp out. I hope that they find their way back. Instead of being a 8 hour hike, we clocked more like 6 hours but being sufficiently tired by the end of the day, it was not a big deal to end early.

This evening over dinner we watched a glorious rising of what I think was a full moon over the mountain and Gracias. Such beauty! I am glad to be in the mountains again and ever so thankful for the beautiful weather that we have had. We spent a few days at the beach with the Williamsons and staff members from my Spanish church at the beginning of the week. I had expected to be involved in the meetings the staff were having but in the end the pastor told me it was not necessary and I should just enjoy the time with my sister. And so that is what I did.

Last Sunday was a good day in that it was the birthday celebration for Evelyn and her daughter out at camp. Val was able to meet my camp "family" and we were able to celebrate with them. I think Evelyn was excited and thankful that the party went well and it could be memorable for her and Lisbet (although Lisbet is too young to really remember much). Lots of memories have been created over the past week from the Honduran soccer game to birthdays to the intense hike.

No comments: