Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Letting Go


November 19, 2008

I discovered today that it is hard to let go and watch someone walk in a direction that could cause them lots of pain. I have been discipling a young woman, who for the last 3 months has been in the refuge of camp and away from the temptations of drugs where she use to live. Today she returned to her home area for a funeral. I gave her a ride as far as the city and from there she took a bus to the town of Progresso. I watched her go with some fear and reservation knowing that the temptations would be great and not knowing if she was ready. And yet I knew that at some point she would have to take such a step. I have to trust her into God’s loving arms because I will not always be around to watch over her. Although I still have not received the phone call telling me she is back at camp, she seems to have made it into and out of Progresso without problem. (Just got the call and she is safely back) Perhaps it has been a lesson in trust for me as well. She is growing in the Lord and seeking Him and I need to let her grow and learn on her own.

Since Sunday we have had a delightful cold, though rainy spell. I would have been comfortable in my lightweight fleece all day. And yet I get word that PA has had snow of which I am envious. If only there could be snow a month from now!

Tonight is the big Honduras versus Mexico soccer game. I have several friends going but the weather and the fact that I just saw a soccer game (only on the national level though) have helped me decide to stay put. I may not even find a TV to watch the game on. We will see. A part of me needs some time to myself to relax and catch up on things. At camp (where I have been since Sunday) I am always trying to connect with the various staff families which means that I am busy every evening until at least 9:00PM. I ended up staying an extra day because Wes and I tried to make contact with a local high school. The director was not in but we hope to have a meeting with him next week to discuss a new partnership idea.

I secured my visa extension this morning which means I am legal in the country for another month. And as far as driving, I have not had any police tell me that I need extra documents (aka. the Honduran driver’s license). While downtown today, I discovered that there is a new parking law in effect. You cannot park along most of the streets without a parking sticker which is only about 25 cents an hour, except that you can never use is for less than an hour. Thankfully the policeman explained the whole process to me before I got a ticket and perhaps something put on my tire so that I could not drive off. Of course I am not so excited about parking downtown anymore.

Thanksgiving preparations are underway and I am excited about getting to do some extra baking and cooking. The Williamsons and I (and perhaps a missionary nurse) will have a noon day Thanksgiving meal and then in the evening all of the staff will come and share in the rest of the food and festivities. I have yet to figure out how to watch cholesterol and participate in the wonderful foods of Thanksgiving and Christmas. We will see.

1 comment:

Roger said...

you have a very nice blog. I like your attitude and sensitivity and the way it comes through in your writing. Do you write for yourself? Do you know if any friends or others read it?

I am writing blog now that no one has seen, to my knowledge.

Roger