Friday, January 18, 2008

A Whirlwind Week

January 18, 2007

As the week nears its close, I look back and wonder how I fit in all that I did. Sunday I spent most of the day either at church or in a course that I am taking which has to do with camps. Monday morning I ran around town looking for supplies for repairing the ropes course at camp. Monday afternooon I headed to camp to be able to see the staff and get some information that I needed for future work. While there I got in a run, a quick soccer game, and a Bible Study with the staff. It was Monday night that I learned from my lawyer that yes I needed to leave Honduras by Thursday so that I could renew my visa. 

Tuesday morning I returned to the city and began the search for a possible cheap plane ticket. None surfaced and I spent a good portion of the day in a meeting that I was anxious to have end so that I could finalize travel plans. That afternoon I connected with a missionary girl who had just arrived to the city and was also looking for an apartment. After about an hour of chatting, we decided to go ahead and look for one together. She was flexible enough to do the chatting while I drove to the bus station for my ticket. But upon arrival I discovered that they had all been sold. With a bit of anxiety and yet an overall peace I headed to a dinner and Bible Study knowing that I really should look for a plane ticket right away. Using the computer at the pastor´s house, I found that there was now a special price for a ticket to Costa Rica which made flying an even better option than the bus would have been, all things considered. And so I made my purchase and thanked the Lord that He had control of the details all along.

Wednesday I spent visiting over 7 apartments with Emily. At the end of the day we discussed the options and prepared to chat via computer once I left for Costa Rica. Thursday morning I arrived in Costa Rica where familiar sights welcomed me. I took a bus downtown and then changed buses to arrive at a landmark near my friends´house where my friend Jen then met up with me. A trip that would cost $30 by taxi, cost a little over a dollar by bus. I was so excited to be on a bus again and to walk downtown, even entering a store or too without the same concern for safety. In San Pedro I would probably not walk anywhere with a backpack, let alone two. 

The rest of Thursday I spent mostly reconnecting with my friends Matthew and Jennifer and their boys, one of whom is new to me since he is only 5 months old. The most challenging part of the day was trying to discern from a description whether the apartment Emily had looked at that day was a better option than the ones from the day before. Tonight we finally reached a decision of which to pursue with a back-up plan in case the first choice one has been rented. 

Tomorrow I head by bus to the camp I volunteered at while in Costa Rica. I am excited to spend some time with God in a place that has a beauty and climate much different from Honduras. I am only beginning to discover the beauty of Honduras and so perhaps there are similar places in some of the cloud forests and mountains. For me though, the camp will be deliciously cold. We will see if I have enough warm clothes for the occasion. But more than the climate, it is a place of friendship, of ministry, and a place to be still with God.

So the week has been late nights and early mornings and general busyness. But it has been a good week as I have experienced God at work, renewed friendships, and finally made progress in the apartment search.  

No comments: