Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Manana

January 30, 2008

Well, I cannot spell the word correctly because the program is not letting me put the line above the n. Manana is a word I am hearing a lot lately and is not one I like so much because it means tomorrow, but really it does not mean tomorrow at all. It is more like, whenever we get to it or it happens.The manana for me seems to be this whole apartment thing and signing the lease. On Saturday they told us be Monday or Tuesday the Air conditioners would be in and it would be clean. Yesterday they told us we could sign this afternoon but this afternoon the story is "manana". I have discovered that when you are always waiting for tomorrow, it is hard to live in the "today." That is my struggle right now as I figure out how to get my work done and yet still be ready to sign the lease at what seems like it will be a moment's notice. And perhaps that is where I need to learn to make other people wait and say that we will then come when it suits us best. To add to my list of things to do, I happened to go to the newspaper on-line today and I saw an article that said the police were going to start fining people who do not have a license plate -- a fine of about $50. I still do not have my real plates because they were not making them as of 2 months ago. I have not gone back because I knew I would have to stand in line just to get an answer. I am not sure if this new law means that they are now making plates again but I am not so sure that my laminated plates in the windshield and back window are going to suffice anymore. The article said that the government office had extended its hours and had more staffing in an effort to curb the long waits. I will soon be able to test the authenticity of the description.

And so I enter into "manana" not really knowing what it holds as far as the apartment or delivery of furniture goes, but I am ready to go about my work and then go sign the lease when it is also convenient for me. I would imagine that tomorrow just might find me standing in a long line too. We will see how it all works out.

No comments: