Thursday, September 06, 2007

In the Midst of The Storm






September 5, 2007
And the rains have come! Since Tuesday around 1:30PM it has been raining almost constantly. Not always heavy showers but a steady rain. It is hard to imagine what the weather would be like if Felix had not downgraded to a Tropical Depression and instead came upon us as a hurricane. This morning I went down to the creek with some of the other staff and it was definitely a different creek than what I have seen previously in my time here. Last evening just before dusk I took a stroll to the woods in between rain showers and with each walk, I have been reminded that I find this weather enchanting and delightful (in small doses – everyday and I would have a different opinion). To walk in a world where green life is all around and the raindrops tumble gently from the drenched branches above. To have the opportunity to wear a long-sleeved shirt all day and not be hot! That is paradise (Okay, not really but delightful just the same).

I have so much to b thankful for at the moment. The power has stayed on all through the rains except for an hour or so last night, just as I was headed to bed. My roof has not leaked yet though I know that the leak is not really repaired. One of the families stayed on camp rather than going to visit their family on the other side of town and the creek. Had they done so, there is a good chance that they would not have made it back. I am not quite ready to be on camp overnight by myself. I am not even attempting to go anywhere since the price of mototaxis make a trip to town not worth it and they probably could not even make it up the hill. And so I work, eat, and read in the midst of a rain-soaked world that occasionally beckons me to venture out and explore.

No comments: