Sunday, September 16, 2007

From one day to the next




September 16, 2007
I find it amazing how the way things are going can change so rapidly. Up until Friday, I was having a great week. Thursday afternoon I was in the city and found an apartment I really like – except for the price so I doubt it will actually work for me. I met up with a guy I knew from the camp I volunteered at in Costa Rica and was able to honestly say that things were going well. His family had moved to Honduras several years ago and they admitted that the transition was hard. And that was only from one Latin country to another so I felt a little better about the fact that it has been a hard transition for me too.

I have been reminded that seeing familiar faces is so good. Last weekend another LAM missionary family visited us at camp. I had been in Language school with them and not seen them since April. On Wednesday I finally got together with one of my Honduran friends. I think it had been at least a month since we last chatted in person. I am discovering too that it would probably be cheaper for me to call the States with my cell phone than it is to call many phone numbers within the country of Honduras. It does not make phone conversations with friends here very appealing, especially when they are also in Spanish and I struggle to follow Spanish on the phone.

Anyway, I got back to camp on Thursday evening and Friday by lunch time I had a terrible headache. I thought briefly (and with horror) that it might be from lack of caffeine. For the past week I drank either tea or coffee everyday and though I did not think an addiction could happen that quickly, it was my one hypothesis. An attempted nap did not really alleviate the pain or tiredness and sleep was elusive since the electric was off and the house was extraordinarily hot. Thankfully I woke up Saturday feeling better. Because the Williamson children have been sick off and on the past couple of days, I think I may have had a virus and not an addiction to caffeine. Yeah!

September 15th is the Independence Day of Central America and one of the children from camp was in the local parade so a bunch of us were planning to go down and watch her. But the car would not start. Finally we pushed it to where it was facing downhill and then I had my first opportunity to clutch start a car and it worked. We made it to town an hour later than planned but no worries because the parade apparently did not start on time either. Saturday afternoon I went along with a ropes course group to observe the leader who still does not have sufficient hours to lead alone. In the evening I discovered how to substitute regular sugar for powdered sugar by using the blender.

This morning I awoke to no electric and a gentle rainfall. The rain has continued all day and gotten heavier. It actually reminds me of the other week when the Tropical Depression was in the area. Tonight we are having a farewell dinner along with the worship time since it is the Williamson’s last time here for many months. I think that the combination of sicknesses, power outages, and seeing all that the Williamson’s have to do in such a short time (while feeling helpless as far as really aiding them) have created a more stressful atmosphere over the past few days. But I know that it could be much worse and I am just praying that things go smoothly at camp as the Williamsons pack up this week.

No comments: