Thursday, September 20, 2007

Holding loosely to time

September 20, 2007
Life with its ups and downs. Here I sit in San Pedro with a list of things to do and laundry sitting half washed in the washing machine and there is no electric. Everyone says that San Pedro always has electric but I seem to be in the city every time that the electric goes out. Perhaps it is me. I head back to camp this afternoon and if I cannot get on-line before then, I will probably be unable to do anything till Sunday. I guess that it could be a way of God answering a few of my prayers about what to do with my visa running out next month. Maybe I am just to wait and see and not jump on the current opportunity for a cheap ticket to the States.

I am wondering how much I am to learn to plan ahead and be prepared for power outages at any moment even in the city or whether the lesson is to just relax and go with the flow. I am learning to hold time more loosely and wait, not knowing when or if intended plans will actually happen. As of yesterday morning the plan was to get together with a Honduran friend in the evening. We had not set a definite time though and the plan was for her to call me after work. But it was 7:00 till she called because it was the one day where she had to work late. By that time it was too late to do anything since neither of us had a car. And so the time in the city has passed without any time with Honduran friends.

It just seems to be one of those weeks. Thankfully I have transferred locations to another home where there is still electric. I will be able to make the phone calls and do the things I need to. It took several hours to reach this point though because the couple whose house I was staying at could not open their gate to get their truck out because of the power outage. Even the generator would not work well enough to open the electric gate. These are the situations that make it so difficult to get things done. And I am challenged to learn as Paul did, the secret of being content in any and every situation.

No comments: