Saturday, March 05, 2011

The Whirlwind of Time




March 5, 2011
I had no idea that I would get so behind in blogging, but it has happened thanks to a myriad of events and busyness. These few current moments of quietness that I am enjoying are taking place at a hotel/restaurant in Honduras not far from the camp. I came here this morning to do a Skype call since the connection out at camp is sporadic at best. Soon I will head back to camp to continue my packing and organizing of things and then later to participate in a Young Adult retreat with the church I attended while living here. It will be a good way to re-connect and then say goodbye to a lot of people at once.

So much has happened in these last two months. Since returning to El Salvador after Christmas, the time was like a whirlwind, whipping past me. I spent over two weeks as a tía for several different age groups. Day one of my time with the six youngest girls, I realized that maybe I do not ever want seven children. Well, at least not all around the same age and all girls who do lots of fighting and complaining. Thankfully things improved after Day 1 but I was grateful to be able to move up and care for the four middle aged girls.

Just over a week ago I had my despedida “farewell party” at La Casa de Mi Padre. It was a bittersweet time as I enjoyed the songs and sharing of the children but also knew that it was “good-bye” as far as for me playing a significant role in their daily lives. They have taught me so much and I was thankful to hear from their own lips or pen that I have made an impact on their lives. Two days ago I received word that they father of a six year old girl there, was killed on his way to work. In moments like these, it is hard to not be closer to the children and staff to support them. The father was one who participated in family visits and showed lots of love to his daughter. I can only imagine the grief of little Karla at this point.

Last Saturday instead of traveling to Honduras as I had planned, we waited a day so that I could better pack and rest a bit. That morning as I ate breakfast with a family in a relatively safe neighborhood, someone came along and stole my spare tire. And so the rest of the morning was spent looking for a new tire and lock with the help of the one housedad. I could not believe that the theft had happened on my very last day in the country. In reflecting on the situation though, I realized that there are things for me to learn. All too often I am very dependent on my “spare tire” or “Plan B.” I like to have a back-up plan and know my way out of potential problems. Sometimes all of my planning comes at the expense of fully trusting in the Lord and His sovereign plans. And then too I often have way too many things with me, like an abundance of spare tires.

Well, that is an overview for the moment of a few recent happenings. If I can make the time to write, there will definitely be more to come. Car problems hours from the city, giving a ride to the police and their machine guns, Lisbeth’s latest development and skills and other such things. I will try to keep you posted.

No comments: