Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Heading Home

February 10, 2009

I am here in the Tampa Airport with over 2 hours yet till I fly south. I came early since my sister was also flying out, but on an earlier flight. It was fun to have a few minutes in the airport waiting with someone else since usually I travel alone. We enjoyed a Carmel Cider from Starbucks and then parted ways.

It has been a busy 4 days in many ways and yet the pace has been mostly the same each day. I arrived in FL early Saturday morning and after a full course breakfast with family (but no sleep), I headed to the airport to see my grandpa. I was disappointed that he did not respond or seem to recognize me but then as everyone else pointed out, I probably spoke too quietly. We stayed there until lunch time when we headed back to my aunt and uncle's house. I then tried to take a nap before going back to the hospital after dinner. The next two days followed a similar schedule except that little by little my relatives returned to their homes in Georgia and Pennsylvania as it became obvious that my grandfather was going to hang in there for a while yet.

I think it was Sunday morning when we gathered around my grandpa's bed in the hospital and sang hymns. He seemed to enjoy and notice the singing and it was a beautiful moment. As I looked around the room at all of my aunt's and uncle's, I could not help but shed tears. I am so thankful for my family and the love that we have for each other. I cannot imagine being in their place since it is their father and not grandfather who is nearing the moment when he will see Jesus face to face. Many of the hymns reminded me that for him this passing is a joyous moment because there will be no more suffering and he will be with Jesus. Later on my sister and I got to sing a few more hymns with him and there was another precious moment when we sang with some of younger cousins.

Val and I were able to lend a hand and cook a few of the meals to give my aunt a break which was fun. Yesterday afternoon my grandpa got moved to hospice so he is now settled into a tranquil room where his needs are met and it is a relaxing place for my grandma to stay with him. Just as my mom and other relatives experienced, it is hard to leave knowing that we will not be there with my grandpa in the end (at least I will not though the others hope to return in the next few days). I will not be back for the funeral, but I am thankful for these days that I had with him and with the family. It will give some closure that would not have been there had I not returned to the States for any part of this time. So many stories were shared as we gathered around the bedside or for meals as a family. I have learned even more about my grandfather's generosity and heart for God. I read in Acts 13 this morning that when David had served God's purpose in his own generation, he fell asleep. My grandpa will soon have served his purpose here on earth and God is calling him home. He has left a legacy of faith and service to God. And for this I rejoice.

No comments: