Wednesday, March 12, 2008

When the Danger is Within the Gate...

March 12, 2008

It is 10:30PM and I am sitting up in bed, unable to sleep. I should have been asleep almost an hour ago, but I am waiting and praying. The trouble started around 9:30 when the doorbell to my apartment kept ringing. I thought maybe one of my roommate's friends was passing by though I was not excited because of the late hour. I went outside and it was only the night guard. He tried to communicate something to me but was not using words nor very clear gestures. As he continued to struggle with communicating, I began to wonder if he was drunk. I went back inside but 2 more times the doorbell rang. Then as I was headed up the stairs to my room I heard the cocking of a gun. Looking out I saw the guard aim his gun across the street and shoot at who knows what. I decided that it was time to call the landowner. I had to leave a message but I finally got through. It was one of those situations of, is he really drunk? And yet someone's life could be in danger. I gave up trying to sleep when the gun went off a second time.

The plan is for the security company to bring the manager and a replacement guard but how they will deal with the one who is drunk and has a loaded gun, I do not know. These are the moments when one realizes that even having guards does not ensure safety. Emily is still out though and so I am praying that she will not come home until the trouble is over. Since I will be up until she gets home, I think that I will have to skip an earlly morning run.

I just got the call that a new guard is here and everything is under control. Thank you Lord Jesus for protecting us all, including any random person who was walking along the street. I have been reminded again of why I do not like guns, with the exception of water guns (but water bottles work just as well).

As for some other events of the past week, I spent 5 days out at camp to participate in a training and to pack up the remaining items in my cabin there. Today I had to unpack all of that stuff here in the city and try to find some needed documents which I want to send to the US with a friend this weekend. This morning I had yet another flat tire. Yesterday I must have run over a nail and my oh my was it twisted into the tire! So much for the new tires. Tomorrow morning I am dropping the car off to get the brakes checked because the ABS light keeps coming on. I guess that the saga of car issues has returned again. Monday and Tuesday I spent cleaning and painting window bars at the Williamson's new house so that the windows can be installed tomorrow. there is still much work to be done for it to be livable this coming Monday. Last night I went to my basketball team's scrimmage against another team and had fun playing. We ended up losing by one point but for me, I am more concerned about just playing than winning.

Well, I am officially tired and over the excitement of the evening so sleep is next on my agenda.

No comments: