Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sweltering...

March 16, 2008

So the days of sweltering heat have arrived. Yesterday Emily turned on the AC in her room mid-day and the temperature read 38Celcius which is about 100F -- and that was inside the apartment! I do not remember this kind of heat last year or in Costa Rica. Needless to say I am dreaming of snow showers. The ashes have begun falling from the sky here in the city. I have not really noticed fires on the surrounding mountainsides but they must be occuring. Since the ashes are somehow ending up inside the house, I have to wonder about the structure of even this building. There are gaps in the roof somewhere.

Last evening I was able to get together with one of my Honduran friends after months of not connecting again. We went to a restaurant with AC which was very nice to experience agian. It was good to reconnect and we have plans to bake cookies sometime after Semana Santa. I think I should start giving baking lessons because so many people want to learn how to bake cookies and such.

Tomorrow I head to camp for the beginning of Semana Santa. I may come back to the city once during the week. There is a good chance the Williamsons will not be in camp for the week because their house is not finished yet and they will have no other place to live with 1500 people on camp. I am planning to pull out my tent which I carried to Costa Rica and now here so I ought to make use of. I am not sure that I can handle being "alone" with 1500 people, watching trash accumulate and being surrounded only by Spanish. I think I will need some oppportunities to express myself in English so as a way of escape from the large crowd, I may sleep in the city one night. I want to have a good attitude but my personality in no way seeks surrounding myself with 1500 people within the constraints of 40 acres -- either in the US or a foreign country. The Lord may do a lot of teaching and shaping in my life these next few days.

Whatever other random facts I was going to write about, I cannot remember them and so I guess that I will close and catch up again after this week.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jen,
I happened upon your blog site after I read your newsletter. Very interesting. I am reading many of your postings. Don't melt in the heat. - Lois Harnish