Sunday, July 11, 2010

Travel In All But a Boat

July 11, 2010
I am southward bound again. I have found travels to be interesting this past week as I have observed people. On the first leg of my journey last Thursday (July 1)
I found myself in a very long security checkpoint line after clearing customs. There was a security work near the front who would call out words of encouragement to everyone and try to lighten the mood. I think he brought smiles to quite a few weary travelers. When I finally cleared the checkpoint, I grabbed the tram to my terminal since I did not have much time left. I was there holding onto my pole when a jolt sent the man standing next to me falling in my direction. He somehow righted himself before completely falling and crashing on me. I realized that everyone around me was ready to spot me (they must have been on Ropes Course elements in the past) though really it would not have done much good had he landed on me.

I, like most others in the airports, am always trying to move quickly and to arrive in time to my gate or to quickly get my baggage and get out of the plane and airport. My return to Honduras was maybe a little slower pace with less need to hurry. I knew that I would be arriving in Honduras to the unexpected. I had specific details that I needed to take care of but I was not really sure when or how, nor how I would make it out to camp.

Today’s travels are that of the 7 hour bus ride from Honduras to El Salvador. So far things have gone well and when I take the time to look out the window, I am greeted by some beautiful views. Much to my delight the DVD player is broken and so the bus is not overrun by the loud movies playing – movies which I discovered from the last two trips are generally not ones that I want to be watching. I am enjoying the time to read, write e-mails and blog entries, and reflect on this past week’s travels.

No comments: