Tuesday, March 09, 2010

March as it Flies By



March 9, 2010

This month seems to be flying by. And it will continue to fly by as a whirlwind of work teams and extra activities outside of the normal daily schedule. This past weekend I stayed overnight at La Casa de Mi Padre once again, this time with the youngest of the girls. I brought the ingredients for making chocolate chip cookies and we had fun in that activity. It was a little crazy at moments trying to give 8 girls the opportunity to all play an active role in the cookie making process. The end product looked good though I sadly could not eat them since I am still trying to go without eating gluten to see if my health improves.

When I returned to my house on Sunday morning after being at La Casa, there were 18 people there -- two different teams. One is from Pittsburgh and the other from State College so I am surrounded by fellow Pennsylvanians. It makes cooking and such a little crazy but it has been okay. I have loved the fact that I had opportunity to play basketball with some of them the last two evenings. Sunday evening we played against a group of El Salvadorians that must play in the park frequently. We lost but it was fun.

Tomorrow I will get to go up to the farm where the children's home will eventually move and help with the construction project of building a tree house. That will be a fun change of pace too. Today there are lots of group therapy sessions and helping with homework. I am planning to make play dough soon as a tool for the two youngest boys to help with their stimulation. One thing that I have discovered is that they seem to lack toys that encourage stimulation and the use of skills or senses.

Sometime I will need to think about packing and moving to a different apartment this coming weekend, but that will probably not happen until Saturday. If I leave work early enough this evening I hope to get to the small group again with the one church and see about building more relationships with the people here.

No comments: