Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Little Joys

April 15, 2008

The joy of a heavy rainfall! During the rainy season another day of rain can bea bit dreary, but at this time of year the rain is lovely both because it is a break from the intense sunshine and because it causes the temperatures to drop significantly. And so I am enjoying this new rainfall. Of course there is always the problem of wanting to just curl up with a book and stay in bed, but that is not an option for today. Today is the day of getting my extension that will allow me to stay for another month in the country. I am praying that the laws are the same as they were 3 weeks ago and that I can get the extension without a problem.

I had a good weekend with a variety of activities. On Saturday morning I at long last walked to the grocery store (about 1/2 mile away) and bought my groceries. I have wanted to do that ever since moving to the apartment but the timing had never worked out. I later decided that doing the walk to and from the store perhaps was not the best way to prepare for the basketball game that afternoon, but I do not think it affected my energy level. The game was fun, even though we lost rather signifcantly. After the game though my heart was a little heavy because I sensed there were a lot of tensions based on the amount of playing time various people had or did not have. I did not play as much as I wanted but that is the way games go and since I was not making my shots, what could I expect? Still I feel like there is a lack of unity and comradeship in the team.

After our game I was watching another game and began to talk with one of the players and her mom. From our conversation I discovered that she is a writer and teacher and has an interest in ecology. When she heard that I am writing lesson plans in Spanish which need edited, she volunteered to do so. I was excited to have someone volunteer to do so because it could be a chore otherwise. In talking I learned that she is Catholic, but does not consider herself very religious. I am not sure that she really knows Jesus and so I am praying that in reading the lessons, which each have a spiritual application, and through our conversation, questions will arise that will cause her to seek to know Him.

Sunday I experienced Communion for the first time at the Spanish church. Later that afternoon I headed out to camp where I fellowshipped with the staff and stayed until Monday afternoon. It had been a while since I wandered around in the woods at camp. I was delighted to find a plethera of birds once again -- 2 Keel-billed toucans, 4 woodpeckers (a species I had never before seen nor can I yet identify), orioles, a parrot (the first I have seen in the wild at camp), Montezuma Orpendolas, a Turquoise-Browed Motmot, and many others. Such beauty when I take the time to slow down and look.

No comments: