Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Buried Treasure?


August 28, 2007
Fifteen years ago, I would never have dreamed that one day (August 28, 2007) I would be digging up a snake skeleton in the jungle of Honduras. I would have thought such an idea was insane. Perhaps it still it is, but today I was looking for treasure – the coral snake skeleton. Much to my disappointment, it was no longer intact so what I have is hundreds of small bones. The task was made rather unpleasant because of the heat and the mosquitoes that never overlook the opportunity to feast on me. Hmm… maybe if I would cut all sugar out of my diet they would leave me alone. That is a high price to pay though.
I eventually left the jungle and moved to the pine area for sifting through the rest of the dirt. Here the mosquitoes are not so abundant. And it was here that I first heard and saw the Collared Aracari’s flying overhead (similar to the Toucans). Later I took Teresita, one of the Honduran girls who was not in school because of a strike the teachers were all involved in, down to the creek area to identify the birds for certain. Sure enough a glance through the binoculars revealed the real treasure of the day – the beautiful Aracari’s. They seemed to be passing through and feasting on some of the many fruits around camp at the moment, but perhaps they will stay. Teresita and I did a little more exploring but the venture yielded only the sound of parrots, a couple of passion fruit, and spotting a few woodpeckers. I was glad that she could come along and take a rest from her boredom as she followed her mom around camp, cleaning. Unfortunately she talks so fast that I only understand half of what she is telling me but I try.

No comments: