Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Not According to the Plan

July 11, 2007
One would think that I would begin to remember that I cannot expect my plans to unfold as I had planned. I guess that my week in PA caused me to forget some of what I had learned. I arrived back in Honduras on Monday evening and discovered that I could catch a ride out to camp yet that night, but I passed up the opportunity, planning to travel the next day after a good night’s sleep and when I could take all of my luggage. But Tuesday mid-morning I received a call from Cindy saying that the Montero had 2 flat, irreparable tires and the village did not have what he needed. Basically Wes could not make it to San Pedro to pick me up that day. The other vehicle was in the shop here in San Pedro. So I stayed put in the city and finished up the task of getting all of the new programs installed on my computer and my e-mail switched over. I got to attend a Bible Study last night, and I also made lots of calls about pick-up trucks. Today I set up appointments for checking out some trucks but of course, I forgot to plan for the typical delays that postpone or prevent altogether such appointments. Being prepared for any and all situations here often means needing more than a backpack of supplies at one's fingertips (and I do not even have my backpacks with me right now-- I have been without them for a week and a half now, a very long time for me).
My plan is to take any vehicle I am considering buying to a shop where they can do an inspection for a reasonable price. I have already discovered how pointless it is for me to look over a pick-up truck because I really do not know what I am looking for. Nothing like feeling helpless. With today’s truck, I think I was able to pick up a few incongruencies in the sounds and operations though. Unfortunately the person who does inspections is out sick, probably for the rest of the week, so I will have to see what vehicles are still available next week. Buying a car is definitely much worse than buying a computer because I am not even glancing at new cars which means that any car I buy has a story behind it – and probably one that goes untold.
The “plan” at the moment is to return back home to camp tomorrow, but we will see. I look forward to unpacking and being able to finalize preparations for Sunday’s program with the children from church. Thankfully there are many people gracious enough to offer me lodging while I am in the city. I have been very blessed in that way.

No comments: