Friday, April 06, 2007

Semana Santa/Holy Week



April 6, 2007

Today is Good Friday, a day of processions and services here in the Catholic church. Almost everything in the city of San Jose has been shut down. No buses, not much shopping. (Hipermas which is similar to Walmart was still open of course). Although Good Friday is very much celebrated, from what I hear Easter, the day of resurrection is forgotten. This morning I got up at around 5:00AM to do a short hike just outside of the city. I did not realize it until I was hiking up the moutain to the 3 crosses (all in different areas) that this was the same day that Jesus carried the cross up the hill. My climb was absolutely nothing in comparison. It was neat to sit for a few moments below the crosses and remember what Jesus did for me on that day so long ago.
I had done the same hike during the first week that I was in Costa Rica though that time it was in the heat of day. Today I was hiking with a bunch of young teenagers who are a part of a soccer team from La Carpio. Their abundance of energy was refreshing to see.
This evening as I was leaving my friends' house after a couple of games of Settler's I walked out into a gray world of light rain. I could not help but be reminded again of fall in Pennsylvania with its gentile (sometimes), but steady rains. I actually wanted to just walk and walk in the rain but opted to head home instead. Most of the world has vacated San Jose and gone to the beach so for once the streets are quiet and you can walk without worrying about traffic.

No comments: