Thursday, June 24, 2010

Summer Days

June 24, 2010

This week reminds me of summers long ago when I had vacation from school and life was carefree. Not that the week has been carefree in any sense of the word, but because the children are on vacation this week, my schedule has changed and I find myself with more time to enjoy fun activities with the children. There are no team meetings nor group therapy times. Instead we have planned activities to give the children a break from the normal routine. Monday night a few of the girls came over to my apartment for a sleepover. Wednesday I made soft pretzels with both the boys' and girls' home. Last night and tonight we are watching my favorite movie of all times, "Anne of Green Gables." I did discover while watching it with the girls that I have a new perspective on it as I try to perceive the movie through their eyes -- the eyes of children who understand the pain of Anne as an unwanted orphan. Many of them have felt unloved and unwanted.
Today we have a soccer tournament in honor of the World Cup. For me it has been a good chance to build relationship with the children and connect with them. I have always loved the quote, "You can learn more about a person in an hour of play and in a day of conversation." (or something to that affect) I seem to have lost my camera cord for downloading pictures to my computer so it may be a while yet til I can post pictures from the week.
The vacation week came at a perfect time because last Saturday the mother of three of our children passed away after a battle with cancer. The children and several staff members went to the burial service on Sunday. For these children it is a blessing not to have to jump right back into school and studies but rather to have some time to grieve and readjust to life. They are precious children and it is difficult to see their pain but I am thankful that they have so many people to walk alongside of them here at the home.

1 comment:

Heather's Journey said...

Jen-
I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate you blog entries. It is exciting to see what the Lord is doing at La Casa.
I am not sure if I have introduced myself before but I am Heather Braden. I am a missionary appointee with LAM heading to El Salvador hopefully in Jan 2010 :) Praying for you all!