Sunday, November 26, 2006

Events of the past week

November 26, 2006

This past week has been an interesting one in that a lot of firsts have happened for me. On Saturday, November 18 I experienced my first "major" earthquake. The news channel said that it was a 4.6. I was in an Internet Cafe and thought that a very large truck was going by until there came a second rumble. No one in the cafe appeared too concerned though my friend saw the buildings across the street moving and was ready to exit the building.
This past Wednesday I thought that I was experiencing fall weather because the temperatures were in the low 50's during the day. I was so excited to be wearing a fleece for most of the day. I think that weather triggered a bit of homesickness though because I knew that the leaves changing colors and then snow should follow such weather.
On Thursday was my first Thanksgiving away from the family and Pennsylvania. I certainly was not without things to do. It was odd to have classes that day but since it is not a holiday here there was no reason to have the day off. We got out of school early and then I headed to a turkey dinner with some others from my mission. There were several Ticos there from the camp that I volunteer with so it was neat to be able to practice Spanish while celebrating Thanksgiving. Mid-afternoon I moved on to my second party which was games and dessert at a missionary family's house. I stayed there until early evening when I stopped at one last party/turkey dinner. Needless to say I did not eat much there. Once again though I was able to use my Spanish. Although I did miss being with my family I did enjoy the day.
This weekend I have been babysitting two girls whose parents are away from the weekend. They are older, ages 12 & 7 so it has not been too hard but I have definitely been busy. I am used to having a little more time to myself but it is good.
So those are a few events from the week. Nothing too exciting but that is okay.

No comments: